Elizabeth ("Liz") Greene, born on 4 September 1946 at 13:01 (= 1:01 PM) in Englewood/ New Jersey, USA, is one of today's best known astrologers.
Liz Greene's father was born in London, and her mother in the United States. She grew up in New Jersey and, already as an exceptionally talented teenager, she was interested in astrology and psychology, as well as in art, theater and music. In 1975, after her student years in Boston and Los Angeles, she came to London, England, now residence of her brother, with a doctorate in psychology in her luggage. Establishing her astrological counseling practice, she continued studying at the 'Centre for Transpersonal Psychology' and the 'Faculty for astrological studies', to which she is a lifetime patron to this day. In London, she also qualified as a Jungian Analyst. She ran her psychoanalytical and astrological practice on Estelle Road in Hampstead, London, lectured and held seminars all around the world and was a very productive author.
From 1992 to 1997, she lived in Oxford, England; then until 2003 in Switzerland, first in Küsnacht, then in Zürich. In 2004, she moved back to England, where she still lives between Bath and Bristol.
Greene's books and seminars have defined to a large extent what is considered modern Psychological Astrology. By connecting astrology and psychology and her extensive knowledge in both areas, she has contributed a great deal to freeing astrology from the image of fortune-telling. This is complemented by her wide knowledge of mythology.
She had become quickly famous with the publication of Saturn: A New Look at an Old Devil, in 1976, in which she applied Jungian psychology to revise the image of Saturn as a planet of misfortune, recasting it in a more Jungian image that has continued to be very popular into the 21st century. The book had aroused great interest and is still considered one of the classics of psychological astrology.
In 1983, she founded the 'Centre for Psychological Astrology' (CPA) in London together with Howard Sasportas. After Sasportas' death in 1992, astrologer Charles Harvey took over as co-director, until his death in 2000. A publishing house, the CPA Press, was added in 1996. Greene continues directing both the organisation of the CPA and CPA Press.
During recent years, she has been very active in furthering the Sophia Project which enables students to study astrology at a high level at British universities, first at Bath Spa University, and now at the University of Lampeter, Wales.
Work with Alois Treindl
At a week's seminar in 1985, held by Liz Greene in the Swiss mountains, she got to know Alois Treindl who ran Astrodienst, an astrological computer service located in Zürich. Both started a close cooperation with the aim of modeling Liz Greene's way of interpreting charts with computer software by using the most recent technologies of knowledge engineering, expert systems and artificial intelligence. They chose Astro Intelligence as a label for this new technology, and in 1987 the first result of their efforts was published, the Psychological Horoscope Analysis; this close cooperation between Greene and Treindl continued in numerous more projects and lasts until this day. From it came the Relationship Horoscope, the Child's Horoscope, the Yearly Horoscope Analysis - the Meaning of the time, the Long-Term Perspectives as well as Career and Vocation
- Saturn: A New Look at an Old Devil. Samuel Weiser, Inc. (York Beach, ME, 1976). ISBN 0-87728-306-0.
- Relating: An Astrological Guide to Living with Others on a Small Planet. Samuel Weiser, Inc. (York Beach, ME, 1977.) ISBN 0-87728-418-0.
- The Dreamer of the Vine. (novel about Nostradamus) W W Norton & Co Inc (March 1981). ISBN 0-393014-34-7
- The Outer Planets & Their Cycles: The Astrology of the Collective. CRCS Publications (Sebastopol, CA, 1983.) ISBN 0-916360-60-1.
- The Astrology of Fate. Samuel Weiser, Inc. (York Beach, ME, 1984.) ISBN 0-87728-636-1.
- With Stephen Arroyo: The Jupiter/Saturn Conference Lectures. CRCS Publications (Sebastopol, CA, 1984.) ISBN 0-916360-16-4. (re-published as New Insights in Modern Astrology, (CRCS 1991.) ISBN 0-916360-47-4)
- Puppet Master (novel) Arkana (1988) ISBN 0-14019-050-3.
With Howard Sasportas (partly posthum):
- The Development of the Personality. Samuel Weiser, Inc. (York Beach, ME, 1987) ISBN 0-87728-673-6;
- Dynamics of the Unconscious. Samuel Weiser, Inc. (York Beach, ME, 1988) ISBN 0-87728-674-4.
- The Luminaries. ISBN 0-87728-750-3.
- The Inner Planets. Samuel Weiser, Inc. (York Beach, ME, 1993.) ISBN 0-87728-741-4.
- The Astrological Neptune and the Quest for Redemption. Samuel Weiser, Inc. (York Beach, ME, 1993.) ISBN 0-87728-857-7.
- With Juliet Sharman-Burke: The Mythic Tarot. Fireside Books (2001.) ISBN 0-7432-1919-8.
- The Dark of the Soul: Psychopathology in the Horoscope. CPA Press (London, 2003.) ISBN 1-900869-28-4.
- Barriers and Boundaries: The Horoscope and the Defences of the Personality. CPA Press (London, 2002) ISBN 1-900869-20-9
- The Art of Stealing Fire - Uranus is the Horoscope. CPA Press (London, 2004) ISBN 1-900869-29-4
- Interview with Dr. Liz Greene.] (by Darrelyn Gunzburg, 2004)
- Centre for Psychological Astrology
- Wikipedia on Greene
- Wikipedia: The Sophia Centre
- University Bristol, Department of History, News issue
- Greene's horoscope reports at astro.com
- In: The Mountain Astrologer, No 119, Feb/ March 2005.