Liz Greene, born on 4 September 1946 in New Jersey, USA, is one of today's best known astrologers. Her books and seminars have defined to a large extent what is considered modern Psychological Astrology. By connecting astrology and psychology and her extensive knowledge in both areas, she has contributed a great deal to freeing astrology from the image of fortune-telling and leading it towards modern science. This is complemented by her wide knowledge of mythology and her intuition. Often, she appears to draw directly from the sources of the Collective Unconscious.
Liz Greene grew up in New Jersey and, already as an exceptionally talented teenager, she was interested in astrology and psychology, as well as in art, theater and music. In 1975, after her student years in Boston and Los Angeles, she came to London, England, homeland of her father and residence of her brother, with a doctorate in psychology in her luggage. Establishing her astrological counseling practice, she continued studying at the 'Centre for Transpersonal Psychology' and the 'Faculty for astrological studies', to which she is a lifetime patron to this day. Her first book 'Saturn - a new look at an old devil' (1976) aroused great interest and is still considered one of the classics of psychological astrology. In London, she also qualified as a Jungian Analyst. In 1983, she founded the 'Centre for Psychological Astrology' (CPA) together with Howard Sasportas, and ran, independently, her psychoanalytical and astrological practice on Estelle Road in Hampstead, London. She lectured and held seminars all around the world and was a very active author.
From 1992 to 1997, she lived in Oxford, England; then until 2003 in Switzerland, first in Küsnacht, then in Zürich. In 2004, she moved back to England, where she still lives in a gorgeous country house between Bath and Bristol.
During recent years, Liz Greene has been very active in furthering the Sophia Project which enables students to study astrology at a very high level at British universities, first at Bath Spa University, and now at the University of Lampeter, Wales.
Work with Alois Treindl
At a week's seminar in 1985, held by Liz Greene in the Swiss mountains, she got to know Alois Treindl who ran Astrodienst, an astrological computer service located in Zürich. Both started a close cooperation with the aim of modeling Liz Greene's way of interpreting charts with computer software by using the most recent technologies of knowledge engineering, expert systems and artificial intelligence. They chose Astro Intelligence as a label for this new technology, and in 1987 the first result of their efforts was published, the Psychological Horoscope Analysis; this close cooperation between Liz Greene and Alois Treindl continued in numerous more projects and lasts until this day. From it came the Relationship Horoscope, the Child's Horoscope, the Yearly Horoscope Analysis - the Meaning of the time, the Long-Term Perspectives as well as Career and Vocation
- Saturn: A New Look at an Old Devil. Samuel Weiser, Inc. (York Beach, ME, 1976). ISBN 0-87728-306-0.
- Relating: An Astrological Guide to Living with Others on a Small Planet. Samuel Weiser, Inc. (York Beach, ME, 1977.) ISBN 0-87728-418-0.
- The Dreamer of the Vine. (novel) W W Norton & Co Inc (March 1981). ISBN 0-393014-34-7
- The Outer Planets & Their Cycles: The Astrology of the Collective. CRCS Publications (Sebastopol, CA, 1983.) ISBN 0-916360-60-1.
- The Astrology of Fate. Samuel Weiser, Inc. (York Beach, ME, 1984.) ISBN 0-87728-636-1.
- with Stephen Arroyo. The Jupiter/Saturn Conference Lectures. CRCS Publications (Sebastopol, CA, 1984.) ISBN 0-916360-16-4. (re-published as New Insights in Modern Astrology, (CRCS 1991.) ISBN 0-916360-47-4)
- Puppet Master (novel) Arkana (1988) ISBN 0-14019-050-3.
- with Howard Sasportas. The Development of the Personality. Samuel Weiser, Inc. (York Beach, ME, 1987) ISBN 0-87728-673-6;
- with Howard Sasportas. Dynamics of the Unconscious. Samuel Weiser, Inc. (York Beach, ME, 1988) ISBN 0-87728-674-4.
- with Howard Sasportas. The Luminaries. ISBN 0-87728-750-3.
- with Howard Sasportas (posthum.). The Inner Planets. Samuel Weiser, Inc. (York Beach, ME, 1993.) ISBN 0-87728-741-4.
- The Astrological Neptune and the Quest for Redemption. Samuel Weiser, Inc. (York Beach, ME, 1993.) ISBN 0-87728-857-7.
- with Juliet Sharman-Burke. The Mythic Tarot. Fireside Books (2001.) ISBN 0-7432-1919-8.
- The Dark of the Soul: Psychopathology in the Horoscope. CPA Press (London, 2003.) ISBN 1-900869-28-4.
- Barriers and Boundaries: The Horoscope and the Defences of the Personality. CPA Press (London, 2002) ISBN 1-900869-20-9
- The Art of Stealing Fire - Uranus is the Horoscope. CPA Press (London, 2004) ISBN 1-900869-29-4