The American-English astrologer Howard Sasportas was born on 12th April 1948 at 1:46 in Hartford, Connecticut, USA.
He died on the 16th May 1992, 5:12 PM, in London, GB.
He was one of the leading astrological figures of the twentieth century.
He initially received a MA in Humanistic Psychology at Antioch University in New York. In 1973, he then moved to London and began to study astrology at the Faculty of Astrological Studies. In 1979 he received the FAS's Gold Medal. In 1983, together with Liz Greene, he founded the Centre for Psychological Astrology. It became one of the most influential schools of its kind worldwide. Apart from being greatly admired as a teacher, Sasportas was also a productive author whose writings (including The Twelve Houses and The Gods of Change) were characterised by his clear and insightful language. In his writings he often refered to the ancient Greek myths. The ability of astrology to overcome some of the wide-spread prejudices in the English-speaking world in the 1980s and 1990s is due in part to his efforts.
In the last years of his life Sasportas battled ill-health caused by a congenital deformity of the spine. His severe illness did not affect his productivity, yet, and although wheelchair-bound he attended many congresses and seminars until shortly before his death. He died in the presence of his closest friends, as astrologer Erin Sullivan described, "in peace and full of courage and awareness".
He was homosexual and died of AIDS.
- 1985, (reprinted 2009,) The Twelve Houses, The Aquarian Press.
- 1989, (reprinted 2007,) The Gods of Change: Pain, Crisis, and the Transits of Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto, The Wessex Astrologer.
- 2002, Direction and Destiny in the Birth Chart, Cpa Press.
- Direction and Destiny in the Birth Chart. CPA Press, vol 10.
- Includes chapters on Vocation, the Moon's Nodes, and the astrology of the Helper.
With Liz Greene:
- The Development of the Personality. Samuel Weiser, Inc. (York Beach, ME, 1987) ISBN 0-87728-673-6.
- Dynamics of the Unconscious. Samuel Weiser, Inc. (York Beach, ME, 1988) ISBN 0-87728-674-4.
- The Luminaries. ISBN 0-87728-750-3.
- The Inner Planets. Samuel Weiser, Inc. (York Beach, ME, 1993.) ISBN 0-87728-741-4.